Share your local action and ideas

A DAY OF SILENT PROTEST.

Everyone comes together as normal, is seated, and is silent. Hold hands, but not a peep. POWERFUL

152 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    tyty shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • anonymousanonymous commented  · 

Such an action would be a powerful way of reflecting back the silence of the powerful and rich toward the peoples' voices.

Encourage and invite the silent dissenting majority of people to reflect on their own lack of participation in democratic people's movement.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Silence and stillness are very powerful, as UC Davis showed. It's also harder to brand people as violent or chaotic when they are silent and or motionless en masse. I support this action!

• AreyaAreya commented  · 

It is an intriguing idea. I like the idea of incorporating a "hands across America" statement.

• ChaseChase commented  · 

Being silent also doesn't limit the visual impression you make. Look at the Colombian protestors who painted huge shoutong mouths on their necks.

• pierrepierre commented  · 

Very powerful! Unfortunately most people have a hard time with 'believing' in silent power.

• kellyann Monizkellyann Moniz commented  · 

What if instead of sitting in a big cluster, people sat down in lines, wrapping around the streets, holding hands. Maybe decide on a past march route or just a specific street, like 5th Avenue or wherever & occupy- I wonder if we have enough people to sit in silence, & stretch out throughout the city to impact more civilian passers-by

• Lucy SombraLucy Sombra commented  · 

Why should justice for all and demand freedom be patriotic?? This is a worldwide protest, a day for GLOBAL action. The main characters acting here are the HUMAN RIGHTS, not the flags.Focus.

• Lucy SombraLucy Sombra commented  · 

If we add to the scenery that we all could go dressed in white and with the hands painted in red to show police brutality, the visual impact would be greater. We could gather silently with Human Rights Posters. RIGHT TO REVOLT.

• Patty GallantPatty Gallant commented  · 

Silence is incredibly powerful -- remember that old commercial "if you want to get someone's attention...whisper". This is also very symbolic of how 1% and corporate personhood have silenced the voices of the 99%. Large, silent groups assembled at other locations nationwide. All silent, all using the same tactic. WOW -- that's a movement and that has real power to influence. Making sure we hold signs as well explaining why we're silent (maybe that one with Uncle Sam with his finger to his lips that says "Silence! Your voice has been bought and paid for"

• Linda VenusLinda Venus commented  · 

Pls. consider that this is not just an American issue - this is global. People all over the world are reading this and considering local actions as part of the global family.

• tyty commented  · 

Look at the impact that had on the chancellor ar UC davis... this is an exceptional idea

Feedback and Knowledge Base